Monday, September 12, 2011

Sculpture Walk

Jeff Wallace
Sculpture name: Aplomb     By:  Luke Achterberg
1.      Unusual, colorful, bright, tall, swirly.
2.      The sculpture is very tall and consists of bright colors. Also, when looking at the sculpture, one can tell that it is made up of strong and sturdy metal.  Parts of the sculpture are very intriguing because of the different dynamics used throughout its entirety.
3.      I like everything about this sculpture except for one thing, its durability. Over time this sculpture is going to rust/deteriorate.
4.      If given the opportunity to purchase the sculpture, I would not.  The main reason is because of how large it is.  I would not want to keep this sculpture outside if I purchased it because I would want to make it last longer.
5.      This sculpture represents graffiti you would see on the side of a train or wall.  I believe it symbolizes a form of art similar to freestyle.  The sculpture is not suited well with its surroundings.
6.      Yes, the sculpture has a very bold presentation.  From the back side of the sculpture it becomes simple and bland.  When looking from different sides and angles aplomb has various unique projections to it.  The material has been molded to many different angles and curves.  The metal has been welded at the seams as well.
7.      The work that this sculpture consists of is both rounded and angular to an extreme extent.  Also, the sculpture this simplified, despite many different angles that are portrayed.  Aplomb is abstract art that has a smooth surface that consists of both patterns and colors.
Sculpture name: Katrina        By: Osamede obazee
1.      Strange, abnormal, unique, scary, weird.
2.      Looking at the sculpture I can see the desperation of the woman in the sculpture. I like the fact that the person in Katrina is trying to hold onto the umbrella despite it being completely destroyed.  The sculpture also seems to be very delicate even though the scene of it is very destructive.
3.      There is not much I do not like about this sculpture.  Katrina seems to be very well made and detailed. 
4.      I am not one for art therefore I would not purchase this particular sculpture.  The main reason I would not want this sculpture is because I would have nowhere to put it.  When thinking about how many people would give this sculpture a good home, I know it would be more adored somewhere else.
5.      I believe this sculpture is trying to represent desperation and the importance of little things.  After observing the sculpture, I also realize that it shows how many things were lost in the storm by noticing the missing shoe.  The sculpture would relate well with people who were a part of the actual storm and others that it affected.
6.      Katrina has a very strong frontal presentation.  At first glance you can see how very well it is constructed, even though it is made of scrap metal.  In my eyes the sculpture is the most interesting from the front considering it is of a person and you can see the face only from the front.  When moving around Katrina at different sides and angles, you can see many little things that stand out.  The one that is most noticeable is how far she is leaning back and how she is using all the strength she has to stay on the ground.  The material in this sculpture is made of scrap metal and it is very easy to realize that the sculptor took a long time to get it perfect.
7.      I do not think that Katrina fits well into any of the categories listed since it is a human being.  Katrina is a very detailed sculpture mainly because of the person involved and the circumstances that are taking place (high winds resulting in struggling).  The sculpture has different textures that are involved in it because of the hair and smoothness of the legs and clothes.  This is a great example of a concrete sculpture because people can relate to a real life situation.

Sculpture name: Robert the Bruce         By: Benjamin Victor
1.      Historical, simple but detailed, familiar, pride, glory.
2.      The main reason I am intrigued by this sculpture is because I am related to William Wallace.  The sculpture has sentimental value to me.  I also think that this sculpture is extremely detailed compared to some others on campus.  When I look at the sculpture many things catch my eye, there is not a specific focal point that I look at.
3.      I like everything about this sculpture.
4.      This is the only sculpture that I would purchase on the campus if given the opportunity.  Not only because of who it is, but because of how well it is put together and the simplicity of the piece as a whole.  I believe that this sculpture is the best one on the entire campus because I can relate to the history of it much easier.
5.      I believe that Robert the Bruce represents courage.  Because of the fact that he took on the challenge ahead of him when he started the war/revolution against England.  I also think that the sculpture represents poise because of how he is sitting on the horse. 
6.      From the front of the sculpture you can tell that it sends a strong message.  I believe that the sculpture is the most interesting from the front because the viewer can see the most detail.  This sculpture has been made very precise and took unnecessary ways of completing it, but in the end it helps the overall sculpture. 
7.      When I notice the sculpture I think that it is primarily angular.  The reason I say this is because he is turning his horse while rallying his troops and starting a charge.  The sculpture is both detailed and simple to me.  What I mean by this is the sculpture is of something so simple, but in a very detailed way.  The surface of the sculpture is made up of more textural items.  This sculpture is another great example of concrete art because it can easily be related to by a large audience.




1 comment:

  1. I imagine your perspective was different in the evening while viewing these. It's interesting -- your photos of the pieces at night. Keenly observant details here, Jeff. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete